“Start yoga at any age.”
Experience the advantages of yoga, both mentally and physically. Because the poses (called asanas) can easily be modified or adapted to suit an individual’s needs, yoga is safe for seniors of all fitness or ability levels. In fact, it can be an excellent way to keep your body strong and healthy without the joint stress that comes from other activities like weightlifting or jogging. And it’s never too late to begin: You can start yoga at any age.
Here are some of the benefits of yoga for seniors:
- Better balance: Many yoga poses for seniors focus on strengthening the abdominal muscles and improving your core stability. That can help you become steadier on your feet and reduce your risk for falls-
- Improved flexibility: Yoga movements can be fantastic stretching exercises for seniors. Holding a pose for several breaths encourages your muscles and connective tissues to relax and loosen, which helps to increase your range of motion.
- Enhanced breathing: The breathing control practices of yoga (known as pranayama) can expand your lung capacity and improve your pulmonary health.
- Reduced anxiety and stress: Through meditation and mindful breathing, yoga encourages you to focus on the present and find a sense of peace. Yoga can lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol and help ease symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Better sleep: Yoga can help alleviate sleep disturbances, which are common complaints among seniors.
Senior Yoga Course
Wednesdays 10:30 – 11:30
September 1, 2021 – October 20, 2021